About Me

My photo
;-) Email me at: Angelbrown92@hotmail.com

Sunday, September 26, 2010

"The Gift of Reason"

Just because you want a new shiny car to go with the new house you bought so you could feel happy about yourself doesn’t mean that you will be. In Jon Gertner’s article “The Futile Pursuit of Happiness” he wrote about four psychologists  theories on Happiness and the one psychologist theory that I thought was completely accurate was Jon Gilbert. He spoke about how there are two types of Happiness that humans produce. His theory had me questioning myself and what I really believe makes me happy or what I think will make me happy. Gilbert proves that not only is Happiness an emotion that maybe just maybe we might be able to control how happy we are and how happy we want to be. Is Happiness a feeling that comes naturally or something that I can create myself?
Dan Gilbert states that there are two types of Happiness called natural happiness and synthetic happiness. Natural Happiness is when we’re happy because we got what we wanted. It’s comes in time, anytime, anywhere. Natural happiness is uncontrollable and unpredictable because it can comes to you when you least expect it. Say if you walking somewhere and you found money on the ground, you’re going to be happy because you figured it must be your lucky day. Natural happiness can come to you at anytime whether you like it or not. It’s the gift of reason and you cherish happiness because it’s what giving you that glowing feeling.
I felt this kind of Happiness millions of times and they all came when I least expect it. I felt Happiness walking down the street because I felt that I’m getting the exercise I need or I felt happy just with family because I know that they’ll always be there for me. Shockingly I even felt happy when my father was diagnosed with high blood pressure and had to take off work for a while. To me that made me happy because I got to spend more time with him than I used to. I used to pray for my father to be home more and I guess I got what I wanted an I see that Natural Happiness is a blessing  at the right times.
Another kind of Happiness that Gilbert says that we have is Synthetic Happiness and this one is shocking to me because its true and it comes at me differently. Synthetic Happiness is when we’re happy when we don’t get what we want. This feeling is odd to me because I feel happy when what I truly wanted for myself is unreachable or possibly impossible to get, and I start thinking to myself about do I really need it. I remember when I was at the mall and I wanted to buy a binder from Bloomindales just because it was name brand and I thought it would make me feel good, feel cool about myself that I had it. I didn’t buy it because I didn’t need it, I just wanted it for show so I left it there and in the end I felt good… great actually.
 “The futile Pursuit of Happiness”…what is that really? Is Gilbert’s theory on Natural Happiness a way to say that people feel obligated to have happiness in their life? Is synthetic Happiness healthy for us because it teaches us a lesson about ourselves that we need to rethink? I think these theories are brilliant because people need to understand that maybe Happiness is not just a feeling or an emotion, that maybe it apart or us or something that we can control to make us feel better in a situation or just make us feel Human.

4 comments:

  1. You made a very good point most people in society believe that materials things are needed to make them happy. Althought u stated another good point with the natural happiness i was confused with the synthetic happiness it suppose to be when u happy when u didnt get something we want was u happy because u didnt buy it or was you happy because of the outcome(like getting to spend the money on some thing different).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley, I saw your essay and I have to say that it was very informative I could see that you really went trough material and state your pooints clear. I like the idea on how you explained happiness about your dad staying home because of his blood pressure. I could understand why sometimes I feel something similar. I like your conclusion alot! and how you insert the rithorical question in there.
    The only thing that might get your writing a little better is if you correct from Jon Gilbert to Dan Gilbert. And may be you can explain what is hot states in your own words or experience? Other then that gret job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, This entry has great organization and a lot of energy. I also like the way you make the definitions your own! There are some usage errors (grammar, clarity) to continue working on. Your example of synthetic happiness was less effective because you got what you thought you wanted in the story. With synthetic happiness, you don't (it would be if you ended up getting a less expensive binder from Walmart instead, but wound up loving it anyway). Great start! We missed you in class :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your essay was very interesting and I like the example you gave on synthetic happiness. It's like i'm seeing myself because i've been in situations like that whenever I go to the mall. However, you should proof read your essay. It's really nice but I see a few grammar and run on sentence.

    ReplyDelete